Here are some pictures from our day in Pompeii... (you can click on any image for a larger version)
If this peaks your interest definitely read wikipedia's Pompeii page for a good overview of the city's life and demise
From the town forum
A courtyard in a villa
A view of a street in Pompeii. Amazing no?
In a building they've been collecting artifacts they find to put on display. These are mostly wine vessels, but they've included a few plaster casts of the indentations left be people who died in the eruption.
A small shrine of some sort
On the outskirts of Pompeii is one of it's most famous sites - the Villa of Mysteries
This amazing fresco depicts woman's transition from a girl to a married woman. This initiation chamber is what has made the Villa of Mysteries so unique and important.
A porch in front of the Villa of Mysteries
A typical paved street of Pompeii.
A mosaic tile floor in a villa
Another theater is still used for performances
Hope you enjoyed! Anyone here been to Pompeii? Thoughts?
Here's a list of all my posts from our travels that I've published -
•Introduction to my European backpacking trip and a list of places we visited
• Galicia - Baiona and Isle de Cies
• Galicia - the coast, some charming vineyards, and Pontevedra
• Santiago de Compostela and gorgeous hidden beaches
• Gorgeous mountain lakes of Picos de Europa
• Stunning mountains - Picos de Europa
• Bilbao and San Sebastian
• Beautiful Barcelona
• The amazing Sagrada Familia Cathedral in Barcelona
• Art Nouveau dream house by Gaudi in Barcelona
• Not to miss - the gorgeous rocky coast of Italy's Cinque Terre
• More from my summer traveling Europe - amazing Rome
You have read this article amphitheatre / backpacking through europe / forum / Italy / Pompeii / ruins / travel photography / villa of mysteries with the title From my summer in Europe - amazing Pompeii. You can bookmark this page URL http://bellashabby.blogspot.com/2011/04/from-my-summer-in-europe-amazing-pompeii.html. Thanks!